Are you living with stiff or tight muscles? If so, you have what is called myofascial pain caused by muscular irritation. Trigger Point Therapy (Myofascial release) is a type of physiotherapy treatment in the form of massage that helps alleviate pain by relieving tension within the affected muscles. Our Physiotherapists are highly trained in the method of myofascial release, with extensive understanding on what specific pressure points to focus on, in order to bring your fascia back to its elastic form.
If your stiff or tight muscles are limiting your daily life, don’t hesitate to contact FeelGood Physio and Fitness today to request an appointment. One of our Physiotherapists would be happy to meet with you and discuss how myofascial release can benefit you!
Common conditions treated by trigger point therapy (myofascial release):
When muscles become constricted or tight, it can significantly impact your mobility. This can cause pain and limitations with movement. Fortunately, myofascial release works to reverse this by loosening up the constricted muscles, thus allowing for easier, pain-free movement.
There are several conditions that can be treated with myofascial release. Some of the most common include:
- Myofascial pain syndrome. This is the most commonly treated condition through myofascial release, and it can affect many of your muscles. The “trigger points” for your myofascial pain are determined and then massaged out.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome can benefit from myofascial release by having the muscles in their hands, wrists, and/or arms massaged, in order to improve function and mobility.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder. The muscles around the jaw are massaged through myofascial release in many patients with temporomandibular joint disorder. This decreases pain and inflammation, as well as increases mobility of the jaw.
- Fibromyalgia. This condition can also cause stiffness in multiple muscles. The affected areas will be determined and then massaged.
- Chronic headaches/migraines. Myofascial release has also been known to relieve the pain of chronic headaches and migraines by massaging the tightened muscles around the head and neck.
- Venous insufficiency. Myofascial release can help reduce the amount of blood pooled in the veins and allow for more efficient blood flow, decreasing the pain felt in the veins.
- Injury. Injuries can also cause muscle stiffness. The affected area will be massaged to loosen up the muscles and allow for a quicker healing process.
Find relief with FeelGood Physio and Fitness:
If you have been diagnosed with one of the conditions listed above, or another condition that you think could benefit from myofascial release, contact our Mississauga, ON physiotherapy office today. At your initial appointment, our Physiotherapist will conduct a comprehensive exam to determine if myofascial release will be the best course of treatment for you. At FeelGood Physio and Fitness, we are dedicated to providing the best quality treatment for your individual needs. Don’t let stiff, tight, or constricted muscles limit your life any longer! Contact us at Mississauga, ON today for relief.